BILL MEYER MASTHEAD
RUSH LIMBAUGH MASHEAD
LARS LARSON MASTHEAD
HANNITY MASTHEAD
SAVAGE MASTHEAD

MONDAY 7-15-2013

Jul 15, 2013 -- 5:30am

 Email Bill Meyer,   Podcasts on BillMeyerShow.com

Past Shows and commentary at BLOG ARCHIVES.

Bill Meyer's Facebook page: 

Follow Bill on Twitter: @billmeyershow

TODAY'S PODCASTS - 6AM    7AM    8AM


SHEER BRILLIANCE - Man explains to WFTV reporter why he's so "supportive" of his local police department, and through saracasm makes the case for freedom and liberty.

I wonder how much of this footage actually made it to viewers?


And then there is THIS idiocy in Portlandia...

How sad that so many are view the Zimmerman case through the racial prism. You think a marauding bunch of rioters would give her a pass if she exclaimed she was "Checking Her White Privilege"?

Seriously, all you need to understand about the Zimmerman trial is to picture the incident, and exchange George Zimmerman with a typical police officer. If a typical police officer were losing a fight to a stronger, in-shape 17-year-old, who was pounding his skull into the sidewalk, telling him "You're Going to Die Tonight, Mother&^*%er", what would the officer do?

That's right, he/she would blow a bunch of holes in the teenager, end of story. That's self-defense. That's the real world.


GUEST INFORMATION 7-15-2013

 

8:10 Dr. Dennis Powers (visit his website) and "Visiting Past and Present".

Snider’s Dairy, Medford’s First Commercial Dairy

By Dennis Powers

In December 1904, Maude and John Snider were passengers on a train destined west for Oregon and just married. One week before, John had proposed to Maude with the thought that they would move to Medford and manage the Warner Ranch. Once in Medford, they discovered that their house wasn’t ready and they stayed at the Nash Hotel. He finished the house in 1905, and John started selling milk, dairy products, and chickens as a partner under the name of “Warner and Snyder,” locally and to the Southern Pacific Railroad. (By the early 1910s, the spelling of his name changed to “Snider”.)

The business became the first commercially successful diary in Southern Oregon; hence, its title of being the “first” one. Before 1910, milk deliveries were made by wagon carrying five-gallon cans and going door-to-door with a ladle to dip out the customer’s milk. Rising every morning at 2:30 a.m. to cook breakfast and prepare lunch and dinner, Maude Snider was usually in the wagon beside her husband when delivering the morning milk. This was hard work at best, especially with the freezing temperatures during winter and all of the work everyone had to do.

Increasing his herds to 250 dairy cows, Snider and his Swiss workers hand-milked them while yodeling. (Later, milking machines were used.) They filtered the milk though cheesecloth then as the way of “cleaning” the milk before delivering it. In 1911, John Snider acquired Warner’s interest and the operation became conducted under the name of the “Medford Dairy.” The first order for its milk bottles--changing the delivery mode from ladle to bottles--was made that year for 1500 of the embossed glass containers.

One year later, they moved the business to the Ish Ranch on Jacksonville Road, then owned by William Gore who was Medford National Bank’s President. As they expanded their delivery routes and marketing, the Sniders needed to increase their processing capacities. They bought accordingly the Independence Creamery in 1918 at North Grape, followed three years later by purchasing a larger creamery from Eldridge Dairy on North Bartlett. They moved their operations to Medford, first to North Grape and then to North Bartlett, where it became named “Snider’s Dairy and Produce Co.”

They added farm produce and even soda bottling under the brand names of Whistle and Green River to their available products. With two children--Mary (born in 1913) and John W. (1918)--the Sniders continued working on their business. They tried opening branches in Ashland and later Grants Pass, but closed these down after finding out that their central location on Barnett was more efficient. When John Snider died in 1930, Maude with her grown children continued the operations, and by 1935, its dairy business was the largest creamery in Oregon outside of Portland. 

At the same time, their enterprise was well into the bottling business. The family was bottling both Pepsi and Coke in the backroom of their dairy--at the same time--and as these brands grew in volume, they had to choose between the two. They decided on Pepsi. In 1933, the first shipment of beer in Medford arrived there from Weinhard’s Brewery. As part of this business, the Sniders operated a major beer and wine distributorship with their flagstaff beer being Blitzweinhard, a leading Oregon beer. This distributorship was sold later to Karl Schmidt.  

In 1937, the family in emphasizing its Pepsi Cola bottling and distributing business, became Medford’s first Pepsi-Cola distributor that joined their existing lines of Mission Orange, root beer, Schweppes, near beer, Whistle Soda, and Green River. Product lines were dropped and added over time, however, such as replacing the orange soft drinks with Sunkist and the root beers with Mug Root Beer.

Their dairy continued to prosper, as well. It bottled milk for Ginger Rogers, who with her mother had a dairy on the Rogue River near Shady Cove. It was called “Ginger Rogers’ Milk” and had a specially-designed glass milk bottle that featured her name. Their trademark, “Little Daisy, the cow,” came about in the late 1950s, and their son, John W., had a daily column then in the Mail Tribune entitled, “Moos and Musings,” which featured the Little Daisy logo. 

Son John W. was appointed in 1950 to fill a vacancy on the Medford City Council, which was the first of three terms that he served on the council. Becoming mayor of Medford from 1956 to 1962, he was elected at age 38, becoming one of the city’s youngest ones ever, and elected to three two-year terms. During his administration, Alba (Italy) became Medford’s sister city.

During this time, the family focused on its Pepsi Cola bottling and distributing business, and John W. sold it. In 1963, Arden Farms acquired the Snider Dairy & Produce Company’s wholesale milk accounts and Cloverleaf Dairy took over the home deliveries.

One year later, the building at 28 North Bartlett was demolished, and it’s now part of the parking structure across from Lithia Motors’ headquarters. PepsiCo--the parent company of Pepsi, Frito-Lay, and Tropicana--now owns the bottling business, and operates this from the facilities at Airport Road and Avion Drive, across the street from KMED. 

When John W. died in 1994, dairying once had been an area high-profile industry, but had subsequently declined--the family, however, was in other businesses and careers. His son, John Jr., owned his own Medford-based advertising company, for example, before working behind the political scenes for years with positions as Chief Aide to Senator Bob Smith and later Congressman Greg Walden. Doug Snider is a successful architect in Medford and has designed several local schools and hospital facilities. The tradition of family success was continued.

Sources: David Scafani, “Snider’s Dairy,” Southern Oregon Heritage, February 2003, Vol. 5, No. 2, at Snider’s Dairy (With Images); Mail Tribune: Since You Asked, “Old Dairy Holds Fond Memories,” February 16, 1999, at More on Snider Dairy; “Medford-Alba Connection,” at Medford-Alba; John Snider, Jr., Email on “Snider Dairy,” July 4, 2013, and July 9, 2013, with facts on soda and beer distributing.    

Return to: BILL MEYER'S BLOG Blog

PHOTO GALLERIES

    An Ad has not been trafficed here..